Friday, March 18, 2011

People think we're crazy

DARWIN, A FRIENDS YELLOW HEADED AMAZON

Life with a parrot is not for everyone, which is one of the reasons I like it, if everyone did it then it wouldn't be special. I have a feeling my friends think I am a bit crazy, they don't understand it, their perception is that birds are mean, noisy & dirty, in fact that is most peoples perception. They fail to marvel at the fact that a wild non domesticated animal can share our lives, and if given what they need to be happy can make the most amazing companions. People don't realize that you can't put a bird in a cage, leave it there all day by itself and not expect it to be unhappy. Birds make noise, thats what they do, and yes they make a mess......I'm actually messier than they are, part of having a pet is cleaning up after them, children are messy...yet no one questions that choice. " We're going to have a baby!!!"..."Oh gosh , are you sure you want to do that?, kids are so messy, and noisy, they need attention, are you sure you want to do that?"....that dialogue rarely happens but maybe it should.
I have raised and trained dogs my whole life, I own a dog grooming shop, my birds go to work with me everyday,....they are more socialized and mentally stable than most of the dogs that come in the shop, they also make less noise and are not as needy as even my own dog, they are also easier to train and keep happy. I have noticed something interesting since taking my birds to work. They have a play perch in my work area, the dogs can see them and usually difficult, nervous or squirmy dogs sit still and watch the birds, allowing me to groom them with little fuss, they are mesmerized by them and so far none have shown the slightest hint of wanting to harm them or get too close.

So.....I dont feel crazy owning 2 parrots, A Caique named Cindy, and an 8 month old Panama Amazon ( sub species of Yellow Crown Amazon). They are a constant source of joy and amusement. I enjoy making their lives interesting and am just crazy about em!!

No comments:

Post a Comment